Monday, November 18, 2013

My Jesus Is My Resting-Place

This is the first real hymn I wrote, nearly two years ago, in the middle of deep sadness.  Suddenly, the words playing around in my mind just streamed out onto the spare pages of my planner (again), and these eight verses assembled themselves in random fashion.  Next, I sketched out a melody above the words, and even missed dinner with my family!  Well, God's inspiration is a very honorable excuse.  
What the original looked like!

1.  My Jesus is my resting place
And will be mine forever;
My soul is held in His embrace,
His grace will leave me never.

2. Sometimes my heart is struck by sin
Which to despair may lure me,
But when there is no peace within
His promises assure me.

3. When every joy begins to fall
He leads me and He holds me;
His plans of hope reign over all,
In wisdom He enfolds me.

4. No problem, doubt, or hurt inside
Can take me from my Savior.
Whatever comes upon my life
Is Heaven's well-thought answer.

5. If friends may leave and shadows come
This faith won't leave me empty:
That God is near and victory's won
From all the fears that tempt me.

6. God, when my darkest hours are here
I know You will stand by me.
You've promised that You hold me dear
No matter what may try me.

7. My Lord, give me a quiet heart
Amid this raging sadness!
Grant me the comfort that a part
Is saved for me of gladness.

8. Praise Father, Spirit, Jesus Christ
For giving us this promise;
We firmly trust that faith will brave
These storms that come upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment