Wednesday, December 31, 2014

'14 and '15 favorites

Fourteen amazing things that happened to me last year:

- Completing Round 1 of grad school, and reaching the halfway point!  MCM, organ emphasis:  3.7.  MA in Lutheran Theological Studies:  3.38.

-. Running by Lake Superior over choir tour and by Lake Michigan during my summer program, listening to the Mass in b minor.

- Being a personal attendant for a wedding, playing piano for some other friends' wedding, and playing organ for still another friend's wedding.


- Performing a coffee-themed collaborative piano recital.  Win.

- Trying caviar sushi, escargot, Sriracha sauce, a "cable car," coconut oil, crayfish, two-person sized chocolate cake, papayas, and most gluten-free food (after cutting out gluten!)


- Learning what Heinrich Schuetz's Musikalische Exequien is, and how to pronounce it.  Third movement.

- Getting to know two special (and hilarious!) guys at grad school.  Happy trees!  NYstedt! Musica ficta!

- Finally getting to see Spoonbridge and Cherry by Claes Oldenburg, Split Rock Lighthouse, the Duluth Liftbridge, a cruise on Lake Superior, and Chanhassen Dinner Theatres for the first time!


- Completing losing my NOOK tablet at a restaurant, only to have the kind staff mail it back to me a month later without harm.

- Landing a position at my alma mater's library for night shifts (AND doing all my dogmatics homework!).


- Obtaining my driver's license and the use of my parents' Camry.

- Hearing a hymn I wrote sung at my friends' wedding.


- Accompanying all the choirs plus ringing bells for my alma mater's Christmas concerts.

- Teaching a children's choir how to sing in PARTS (yes, you guys) and getting the sweetest thank-yous and Christmas gifts from them.  So worth it...with an eternal blessing.


Fifteen great things I pray will happen  (and happen well) next year:

- Turning 23 on the 23rd.

- My MCM recital and MA thesis.

- Completing master's degree No. 1.

- Learning how to do quality research.

- Accompanying at least two solo recitals.

- Traveling with a musical purpose?

- Something cantata-related. :)

- Making a new friend (or two or more).

- Making acquaintances better friends.

- Giving a hymnology presentation to the Synod at the yearly convention.

- Having the privilege of being a bridesmaid or godmother (or both).

- Learning German.

- Ending up someplace completely unprecedented...in a serendipitous way.

- Truly caring for everyone I know and with whom I work, as people God has redeemed.

- Growing stronger in repentance and faith in my Savior, Christ Jesus.  Seminary has only shown what a "bad" Christian I really am - my worthiness by being theologically involved does NOT earn me anything better.
Someone surprised me with this on my birthday!  A real God-send.  :)
Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you[ what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. Hebrews 13:20-21












No comments:

Post a Comment