Thursday, April 3, 2014

Easy as a mud-pie slice of cake.

No butter?  No eggs?  No oil?  No will to resist the unscraped bowl of cake batter?  No problem.

In kindergarten, my mom and I read A Birthday for Frances by Russell and Lillian Hoban as part of the curriculum, and this chocolate cake recipe constituted one of my homework projects.  Though I DID graduate kindergarten (whew!), my family kept baking up this one.


Here is the easiest chocolate cake you will make from scratch.

Chocolate "Mud Pie" Cake

Mix in one bowl:

  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1 tsp. salt
Mix in another bowl:
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1 tbsp. vinegar (Your choice.  I recommend balsamic.)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup water (I just swapped it for raspberry coffee and hazelnut creamer, and it turned out okay)
Combine the two.  The baking soda and vinegar will react with one another, and a chemical reaction will take place.  How educational.  

Bake in a 9-inch or 12-cupcake pan for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Then eat the remaining batter with scrumptious relish.  Top with frosting if desired, and then lick that bowl as well.

Who are these beauties for, you might ask?  It's our synod president's birthday on Sunday, so I'm going to bring these to his office before then. 

 Maybe some of the others will have a chance to try them, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment