Saturday, December 21, 2013

"What exactly ARE you doing?"

The (sometimes goofy) stuff people regularly say to me, and my (sometimes confused and startled) responses.
Here's one thing I take pleasure in as often as I can.  :)


"So you're going to the seminary?  What's your degree called?"
It's NOT an M.Div.  It's the M.A. in Lutheran Theological Studies, and it takes three years and 46 credits to complete.

"Do they even let women in the seminary?  I didn't know they did that."
No one ever said I couldn't!  It's a laymen's degree, and they do say "he or she" in the description.

"So, uh, what classes are you taking?"
Isagogics, which is an overview of the books of the Bible; dogmatics, which is like doctrine; and hermeneutics, the rules for interpreting Scripture.  They're all really interesting.

"Oh wow.  Your classes sound really hard.  I don't know what half of those are."
Not really.  If you like this sort of thing, it's not hard.  I wouldn't live one day in a graduate mathematical program.

"So what do you plan on doing with your degree?"
Working in church music.  Look, getting a degree in theology will not hurt anybody.  I don't think pastors enjoy having oblivious laymen.

"I'm mixed up.  I thought you were doing some master's degree in church music.  This is instead?"
No, that's just over the summer.  This is what I'm doing over the year while applying my newfound skills in the parish.  I have a religion minor in my undergrad program, and like studying it as well.

"Hi sweetie!  How are you doing today?"
"Sweetie"?  Even though you are much taller than me, you are a freshman.  I prefer not be addressed as such.

"So you're in two masters' programs, huh?  You must be really smart, huh?"
No, I don't quite feel that way.  I'm doing what I like to do - I like being in "the bunch" but never completely feel worthy to be in "the bunch."

"Where did you go to school growing up?"
I was homeschooled for all 12 years and definitely recommend it.  I had time to do college credits and practice piano, and saving time in college was a huge financial blessing.

"Oh!  That's why you act like you were homeschooled!"
Um - what does that mean exactly?

"How do you like being the only woman?"
I love it.  There's no girl drama!  I cannot get work done properly when people are running around being overly emotional, and that never happens.  The seminary students are some of the nicest and most accepting people, and I am honored to go to school with them.

"You're so skinny!   Do you have a hollow leg? Where does all that food go, anyway?"
The same place as that person's sense of tact.  Bring me a piece of quality chocolate cake, and I will prove you wrong.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment