Friday, October 11, 2013

O God, Thou Faithful God

 Happy 428th Birthday to German hymnwriter Johann Heermann!  To celebrate, I am presently baking German chocolate cake cookies (they're almost done!) while blogging about my favorite hymn of his:  "O God, Thou Faithful God."
As Martin Luther describes, the things that shape a true theologian are meditatio (meditation), tentatio (testing) and oratio (prayer).  Clearly, in his lifetime during the Thirty Years' War which swept Germany, his testing moved him to meditation and thus prayer.  Born October 11, 1585 in Silesia, he became destined early on for the ministry when his ill mother promised him theological training.  God provided richly for him as he grew in wisdom under several pastors who encouraged his poetic ability, and began tutoring his patron Wenzel von Rothkirch's boys.  Finally, at the age of 25, he received a pastoral call to Koeben in present-day Poland, unexpectedly taking over duties in full as the elder minister there died.  Yet, on and off for the rest of his life, he dealt with numerous worldly trials that kept him on his knees:  eye, nose, and throat infections; losing his first wife, and constant peril of the Catholic armies.  Formed by these experiences, "O God, Thou Faithful God" is one of the most all-inclusive prayers one can observe in the hymnal.  Take a look for yourself. 
O God, Thou faithful God,
Thou fountain ever flowing,
Without whom nothing is,
All perfect gifts bestowing;
A pure and healthy frame
O give me, and within
A conscience free from blame,
A soul unhurt by sin.
And grant me, Lord, to do
With ready heart and willing,
Whate'er Thou shalt command,
My calling here fulfilling;
To do it when I ought,
With all my might, and bless
The work I thus have wrought,
And crown it with success.
And let me promise naught
But I can keep it truly,
Abstain from idle words,
And guard my lips still duly;
And grant, when in my place
I must and ought to speak,
My words due pow'r and grace;
Nor let me wound the weak.
If dangers gather round,
Still keep me calm and fearless;
Help me to bear the cross
When life is dark and cheerless;
To overcome my foe
With words and actions kind:
When counsel I would know,
Good counsel let me find.
And let me be with all
In peace and friendship living,
As far as Christians may;
And if Thou aught art giving
Of wealth and honors fair,
That naught be mingled there
Of goods unjustly got.
And if a longer life
Be here on earth decreed me,
And Thou through many a strife
To age at last wilt lead me,
Thy patience on me shed.
Avert all sin and shame
And crown my aged head
With pure untarnished fame.
Let nothing that may chance
Me from my Savior sever;
And, dying with Him, take
My soul to Thee for ever;
And let my body have
A little space to sleep
Beside my fathers' grace,
And friends that o'er it weep.
And when the end is come
And all the dead are waking,
O reach me down Thy hand,
Thyself my slumbers breaking;
Then let me hear Thy voice,
And change this earthly frame,
And bid me aye rejoice
With those who love Thy name (Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary, No. 470).
See?  That covers everything.  Also, for your listening/viewing pleasure:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiBkYDibgaY
I can smell the cookies from here...

No comments:

Post a Comment